Sunday, January 16, 2011

Natural Vitamin C King


Did you know the drink that is number three in America is good old-fashioned orange juice? It is a great source of:

Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)
Potassium
Thiamine
Phosphorus G
Folic acid (Vitamin B9)
B6 and calcium
Plus, vitamin C also helps the body to absorb iron

Aside from all the health and nutritional value, freshly squeezed OJ is just plain good. Since the body doesn't retain vitamin C naturally, it has to be ingested and I can't think of a more tasteful way to have something that is good for me. It is easy to find frozen or reconstituted from frozen orange juice on the grocers shelf, but it just isn't the same to me.

There are other fruits that have as much or more vitamin C than orange juice, but compared to the taste and price of orange juice, OJ is the vitamin C King!




It takes a few minutes extra to cut the oranges in half and squeeze the juice from them. But the fresh sweet citrus smell as the orange is cut open is hard to beat. It gives the whole house a fresh aroma as you begin to squeeze the oranges. Finally it is the taste that will stay with you for hours as your taste buds absorb the flavor.

Be sure to cut the oranges when they are at room temperature. There is more yield and frankly it tastes like you just picked the orange off the tree.

While OJ is my favorite way to get my vitamin C, it isn't always practical for me to do it this way, so I resort to vitamin C supplements. They work well and I take them daily to insure that I get enough vitamin C. But for my money, I would rather have orange juice most anytime. OJ isn't just for breakfast! It tastes good anytime you drink it.

No comments:

Post a Comment